Rocca Pia

 

Rocca Pia Pope Pius II (Enea Silvio Piccolomini) began to erect this building in 1461 in order to obtain the faithfullness of the inhabitants of Tivoli. The quadrangular fortress is composed of four round towers and stands on the top of a hill in order to exploit its favourable position for defensive purposes. The smallest towers were finished by Sixtus IV or probably by Alexander VI. After 1870 the Rocca Pia was transformed into prison adding a building inside the courtyard. At present the complex does not have a precise destination.