The Cathedral

 

The Cathedral The church was erected in the V century on the site of the Roman Forum and completely rebuilt in 1635 by Cardinal Julius Roma. The Baroque facade has a portico with three barrel vaults. This construction has one nave with lateral chapels. Inside one of these chapels is preserved the Wooden Deposition, dating from the XIII century, a work of rare beauty, recently restored, which is a good example of medieval sculpture. The artistic wealth of the church includes also the Triptych of the Saviour, a splendid painting on wood dating from the XII century, attributed to the Benedictine monks of Farfa. The Romanesque bell-tower stands on the left side of the church.